.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

My Favorite Flank Steak

As a kid growing up I ate a lot of flank steak. The beef available on Guam at the time was usually from Australia and of good quality. After living in the “people fusion” that is Seattle, it would not be uncommon to find a tub of pre-prepared “Kalbi marinade”. This marinade/style of seasoning is Korean I think and very much like a “kicked up a notch” teriyaki sauce, if I can quote Emeril. My sometimes food snob husband doesn’t like flank steak very much but will eat it if it’s medium rare, sliced thinly across the grain and with 2 giant mounds of cooked jasmine rice.

Kalbi Flank Steak

½-1 t. scant bit of sesame oil
Chili oil to taste
¼-½ C. brown sugar and/either or honey
Chili flakes
Thinly sliced green onions (I left this out since I couldn’t find any)
2 smashed garlic cloves
Several pieces of sliced then julienne ginger root
Black or white sesame seeds or both
½+ C. soy sauce

All measurements are to be specified individually. I like sweet meat but I know some people don’t and I love things spicy. I say just wing it!

Marinate the meat for as long as you can. Before cooking bring the meat to room temp. and grill or BBQ. Since this marinade has a bit of sugar/sweetness to it, BBQ is the best way to cook if you don’t want charred sugar in your skillet. Another great way to prepare this dish is to broil on high turning once in your over. Line a baking sheet or pan with foil for easy clean up. Slice thinly across the grain and serve on a bed of white rice.

The other way I like to make flank steak is a bit more tropical.

Tropical Flank Steak

½ t. oregano or thyme
1 t. cumin
1 t. ground cardamom-this is a must
Dashes of clove, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon (whatever you’ve got)
2 cloves smashed garlic
Chili flakes or a seeded jalapeno
Chopped cilantro
Sliced red onion
Bit of brown sugar or honey
Salt and pepper
Juice and rind of 1 lime/lemon or both

Marinate the meat as long as you can, grill, broil or BBQ until medium rare, slice and serve with tropical salsa and grilled pineapples. I need to make this soon but have a hard time finding cilantro and avocados here.

Tropical Salsa

½ C. each of peeled and diced mango, avocado, pineapple, chopped cilantro, jicama, it’s all up to you!
1-2 seeded and diced jalapenos
Diced red onion to taste
Lime juice/lemon juice
Salt and Pepper

Add all the ingredients together in a large bowl, carefully fold everything together, let sit for 15-30 minutes for flavors to develop and enjoy.

A sidenote: Both recipes can be made with skirt and hanger steaks too.

3 Comments:

At 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy am I glad that I hopped on over here first. A few new items are going on the shopping list right now.

But another thought, flank steak and kalbi???? OH MY GOD. Those words are like kitchen household words back home. Flanks steak was always used to make beef jerky! And kalbi, oh yummy korean kalbi. There should be a song dedicated to that great marinade of beef and beef ribs!

Okay, I'll stop here and check out the granita.

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

I almost forgot about this thick or thin beef short ribs, they are so good. After your done eating the ribs, the bones make nice toy cars!!! Ha!Ha! My sisters and I used to play with them!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

Hi Gia-Gina,
Oh that kalbi flank steak sounds fantastic. I think it will become one of my favorites, too. And hmmmm. . . I just happen to have some homegrown flank steak in the freezer. Thanks for the recipe!

P.S. I just linked to you through Bakingsheet. Can't wait to read more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home