.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Garage Sale or Giveaway

For one chilly but dry day last weekend, I am particularly thankful. I chose to have my garage sale this past Saturday. We drove to the ends of my block and posted garage sales signs pointing to my crowded driveway. The starting time was 10 a.m. and right on the dot people started to appear, first in a cluster of about 3 cars then more and more. There was a nice respite in between "What about whole box for 50 cents?" and "Is this a real Prada bag?" but was pretty much kept on my toes the whole time.

Sophie and Jamie came to help but since it was chilly Jamie and a few of the other boys ended up in the house playing on the computer and turning up the subwoofer on my CD player until my house shook like a jack-up pimp mobile.

There were some interesting characters; I led people to the shed in the backyard and I have never witnessed how "one persons junk can be another's treasure" until this day. Someone took my rusty, dented BBQ grill, a yard waste container filled with decomposing leaves, my 2 houseplants (right off the bookshelf where they have lived for 8 years) and box full of plastic hangers, a semi-rotting wooden arbor but the strangest of all was the lady who hacked and hacked away at the weedy ivy in my backyard. She took a flat full of roots and leggy stems to transplant in her garden even though I told her they were basically invasive SOB's and she called me today to ask if she could come back for more.

When I called it a day, I had made 457 dollars, on all the other items I marked "FREE", within about 3 hours just about everything found a new home.

1 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Gia said...

You know, if you had nifty kitchen equipment, you could have thrown some my way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home