.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Going, Going, Gone....

Last weekend, we spent the entire 2 days at the condo, cleaning it out on Saturday and getting the carpets cleaned on Sunday. Our good friend "Perry", a former 34 year veteran garbage man, came by with his truck and loaded it up with Demetrio's junk. From BBQ grill to framed photos of old girlfriends, everything went. We were merciless, at least I was. The entire condo was basically packed up and ready to go but many things still slipped through the cracks and that is why we needed Perry.

There is a certain gum ball machine that houses 7 year old gum balls. (That's the entire time he has been in Seattle) It's kind of cool b/c it takes any type of coin; this gum ball machine was a gift to Demetrio from an ex he had a whirlwind relationship with and I am guessing he wants to keep it for sentimental reasons. He is also an avid traveler and I found a ziplock bag filled with miscellaneous coins and old lire from Italy. From is motorcycle days, I found stacks and stacks of iron-on and sew-on patches for jackets and pants. He is not a pack rat to the degree that I think I need to do an intervention but I think he is well on his way, especially when he keeps old computer, business, and motivational books from his office that becme obsolete as soon as they leave the shelves of the last office he hung his hat in.

For my house, we purchased a large box on contractor grade garbage bags. I have been filing it with old Tupperware containers, old office supplies, just plain old junk from the remnants of my life in Seattle. I even got a few friends to come over and take things like, houseplants, dishes, garden pots and stone, garden tools, I sold my blower/vac to another friend. Basically I am getting rid of everything. This Saturday I am having a moving sale, everything goes except a few choice pieces of furniture and a few rugs, if the price is right I may be persuaded to let them go as well. When we were cleaning out my closet, he held the bags open with great fervor as he pointed into my closet and said "donate, donate, donate..." "From now on you won't be wearing GAP, Abercrombie and Fitch, Express or any of that other cheap stuff" I was also forced to get rid of my fake Kate Spade and Prada handbags, now it's only Mandarina Duck for me. "What is a Mandarina Duck?" I asked.

The 20 foot container we are renting should arrive in about a week and a half, we fill it up and they take it to the port of Seattle and about 30-50 days it appears in Naples. Did I mention he has one garage full of boxes and I have about 30? There seems a bit of inequality here, I hope this is not a measure of a future filled with such disparity.

1 Comments:

At 4:20 AM, Blogger Bina Simon said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
skip bin hire ipswich

 

Post a Comment

<< Home