.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, December 16, 2004

My week in Roma

So far nearly a week has passed and I have done the usual bit of walking to dessert shops, book stores, music stores and the like...... One thing I can claim still and maybe will be able to claim forever is that I never get jet lag. We arrived in Rome at 2 pm on Monday, that's 5am Sunday Pacific time and with only a short nap on the plane I was about to fall over standing up. After a quick car ride into the city I was revived and stay up until 3 am Rome time, all in all I had been without a good nights sleep for over 30 hours I think. We had a busy afternoon, lunch with Demetrio's mom and step dad and his nephew, then dinner at 10 pm at the restaurant of a friend of my husband's. We ate, drank and she gasped audibly when she saw the ring on his finger. When he called her earlier that day to ask if we could drop by (for three hours) she swore and cursed at him over th phone for staying out of touch for over five months, then she welcomed us with open arms.

The next day was lunch again at 2:30pm with the family, a leisurely walk (I am given the royal tour of Rome such as Demetrio's old high school, with 20 year old graffiti and worn political posters falling away from the walls) and another night out with friends. Italians have a different sense of time altogether and when I get hungry at 6 pm everyone tells me not to eat because I will ruin my dinner at 8 or 9 pm. All the while, my stomach does somersaults, now I have little snacks whenever I can. We stay out once again and I tell myself I better get used to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home