.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Fruits of My Labor 2

I won't be able to garden for much longer. Deme, V and I spent about an hour yesterday harvesting and cleaning up my garden patch. Thank you Deme!


This is my third cavolo nero harvest. Most of the time I just saute the greens over low heat and add chopped onion, garlic and oil. Other times I stew the greens with a bit of tomato and we eat it as a side dish. I plan to freeze a batch for ribolitta this winter.


We picked about 15 pounds of tomatoes yesterday and after Veronica went to bed last night I went into full sugo production. The tomatoes were nice a sweet since they had not been watered for over a week. They were also nice and ripe so I did not have to add sugar to my sauce.


Onions and garlic are the only other ingredients in my sugo. Other additions are oregano and tomato paste (if needed.)


It takes me about 2 hours from start to finish to make my sugo. I start by sauteing onion, garlic in good olive oil. When the onions are soft and golden, I add the tomatoes, skin and all to the pot and let it all cook and meld together. Add your herbs and season with salt and pepper. If your tomatoes are on the watery side, leave the cover off during the last hour to concentrate the sauce. When the sauce is finished I pass the sauce through a sieve to remove all the seeds and skins (this takes just a minute or two) and I am left with a very flavorful sauce that has a million uses. Try it today!

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do you preserve about 10 pounds of sugo ??

looks yummy

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Alice Twain said...

For your cavolo nero, consider also making some farinata pistoiese. First boil the dried and soacked beans (cannellini or borlotti are both used in Pistoia): if you use borlotti, blanch them first and finishe them off with fresh water. In a separate pot, prepare a soffritto of onion, celery, carrot one garlic clove and, if you like it, some pancetta or prosciutto. Add the cavolo nero in stips and, when it's wilted, the beans and their water. Boil for a few minutes, then add 1 tablespoon of polenta for each person or portion, and boil on, stirring, until the polenta is done. The soup will be wonderfully creamy. Leftovers can be poured in a bowl: after cooling the soup will become hard and the next day you can cut it in slices and grill or fry it, and serve it topped with cheese.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger divinacucina said...

Ciao bella. glad to see you still have Italy in your lives!

My nephew chef makes cavolo nero pesto!

boil, drain and puree with garlic.
then add parmesan and oil!
yummy!

Have you found Pino in Seattle yet.. REAL salami!

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely delicious!!!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Tee said...

Nathan wants those tomatoes! looks yummy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home