.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Un-Met Expectations

Everyone knows that remodeling is a pain in the butt. Nothing is ever done on time. Nothing is ever done within the set budget. None of your expectations are ever met. I have been through quite a history of remodels with the families that I've worked with when I was a nanny.

For a week I had to cook on a camping stove when the promised kitchen was not ready in time.

Once when a bathroom was not "attached" to the plumbing and a child "went", only to have the contents fall from the second story bathroom right into the middle of the first floor living room. Yuck!

One family moved three times in 5 months while their home was being remodeled.

This weekend was the pits, the new closets we're having put in were missing some brackets and they are on back order. Ugh! Plus two shelves were crooked.

The tile guy is two days behind schedule.

The painter is a week behind schedule which delays the electrician.

The flooring guys only have half of the bamboo flooring that I need at this time, the rest will come in about 1-2 weeks! Damn!

It took one cabinet guy over three weeks to come over and measure for the new cabinets.

I hate it when things are promised and not delivered. I pay on time and so I expect the work to be done on time. Is that too much to ask?

Project still pending:

Demolishing the new kitchen, new windows, new front door, new appliances....

Photos to come soon.

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

3 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger Gil said...

All of the delays makes it almost sound like you were still in Italy!

Good luck.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Roam2Rome said...

Wow, sounds like you are having serious work done on your house!

Ah, yes, I'm well aware how contractors can't come when they said they would and last longer than expected...

Good luck with it all! It's a lot of work, I know...

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina, you are going to give yourself and aneurism, calm down. It's a lot of work in such a short period of time, I was also trying to have everything done asap... it made me stressed and not very pleasant.

Anna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home