.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Homemade Potstickers

My mom has been in Italy for about a month and a week. For the first month she was here, I was eating mostly “confinement” foods. Now that that period is over I am eating more normal foods and enjoying my mom’s wonderful cooking. Demetrio is not a big fan of soups and broths but I love them all. Having ginger, garlic, green onion, cilantro, chili, soy sauce and other Chinese ingredients on a daily basis has been heavenly.

Last week, my mom made some homemade pot stickers. I hate to say that I do not have a recipe to publish but I still remember how to fill the pot sticker skins. She made the filling while I stuffed, pleated and folded them into shape.

A rough recipe is as follows:

1 pound of minced pork
two tablespoons dried wood ears, soak the wood ears then chop
two stalks of green onion, chopped or chopped garlic chives
two tablespoons ginger, minced
salt and pepper to taste
few dashes of soy sauce
ground black pepper
sesame oil
chili oil, to taste

1. Blend all of the ingredients together. I always take one tablespoon of filling, fry it up and taste for seasonings before I fill the pot sticker skins.

2. The pot stickers also called Chinese ravioli can also be cooked in a broth or soup. Treat them like Italian raviolis and fish them out of the broth or the soup when they float to the top.

3. The pot stickers can be folded many ways, you’ll just have to experiment. You can make your own skins but ready-made ones are available in most Asian shops. To seal the skins use a bit of egg wash or just plain water.



All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

1 Comments:

At 4:29 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

Yum, I actually saw these in the fresh pasta section of the supermarket last week.I was very tempted to buy them, though rather expensive. Are they made with won ton wrapper pastry?
Shirley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home