.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Monforte D'Alba

In the dry, September hills of Langhe; magenta and plum colored grape clusters hang from perfectly manicured vines. They look poised and ready for an autumn harvest. The heart of Barolo country boasts gorgeous hillsides full of local vineyards. Between the espallierd vines, the yellow clay earth cracks and rifts. In Monforte D’Alba reputed to produce the best Barolo; we were invited to have lunch with our friends Enzo and Claire. Read more about Piemonte here.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The beautiful hills of Langhe. This view is breathtaking and in Langhe, it a common sight.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A cool and shady spot or lunch. The weather was perfect and the dog got to sit right under the table as he was fed bits of absolutely everything.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The chef of Trattoria della Posta.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A miniature "Bagna Cauda". This is a typical Piemontese dish. In the yellow pepper "bowl" is a sauce that is made from anchovies, garlic, Barolo and olive oil. Fresh vegetables as well as roasted vegetables are dipped into the sauce and eaten as an appetizer.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A speciality of Piemonte: Tarajin. Tarajin are handmade pasta that contain egg yolks instead of whole eggs. They are a rich yellow color, in many places the pasta is orange as the eggs here in Italy have very rich yolks. Here the sauce is a ragu made from rabbit and porcini mushrooms.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A tiny roasted quail stuffed with summer vegetables and sausage. The little quail was almost too cute to eat.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Our final course, formaggio. The first time a cheese cart was wheeled out to me, I was a bit taken aback. Now I relish the chance to taste cheeses I can't even pronounce. Slowly I am developing favorites.


4 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gina, I am longing to be there (as you know), we have taken part of our film production at Monforte, have you also been to that lovely little hotel on the top of the hill (next to the auditorio ?) Monforte really is a lovely place. And thank you for your comment on "La Traviata..." today. We have so much in commom...loving dogs, music, food -and Piemonte ! Cordiali saluti di Vienna angelika e gino

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Gia said...

OH.MY.GOD look at that cheese!!! I think it's time to go to the Hilton's French buffet to gorge on cheese.

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Che bello il Monferrato! e che nostalgia...

I like Barolo and also Dolcetto d'Alba, this is quite sweet but I like it a lot...

The food looks so good... I love pasta and that one with "sugo di coniglio e funghi"... mmmm... che buona!
BAGNA CAUDA is also very good and the cheese... if there is something I have missed here in Singapore is the cheese... I have eaten only Parmigiano in 6 months. ok I also had "mozzarella" a couple of times and even found "ricotta" but I miss "Brie", "Fontina", "Gorgonzola", there are so many I like...

I am looking forward to go home to Novara in September and eat a lot of food... my parents are very good in cooking...

Ciao,
Sabrina

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot... very nice pictures!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home