.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Pasta and Fresh Spring Peas

There is nothing that signals spring in Italy more than fresh peas. Only about 5% of the fresh peas in the U.S. make it to markets. Most of them are frozen or canned. I must say that I like both as well. The first time I had fresh peas with pasta, I was awestruck and now try as often as I can in springtime to make this wonderful dish.

Enzo’s Pasta with Fresh Spring Peas

½ C to 1 C. of peas per person (A pound of peas in the pod will yield about 1 cup of shelled peas)
1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
good olive oil
parmigiano cheese
chopped parsley
fresh egg pasta

1. On low heat sauté the diced onion in a liberal amount of oil, when they are very soft and translucent, add the garlic, a bit of salt and set aside. Some people sauté a bit of pancetta also but I love the flavor of the peas on their own so I leave it out.

2. Cook the shelled peas in salted water until they are soft and creamy in the middle. The timing may surprise you; this can take as long as 15 to 20 minutes. Taste a larger one of the peas every 5 minutes or so until you have the right texture. They should not be firm in the middle at all. When the peas are cooked drain them and add the to the onion mixture. Reheat everything and set on low until the pasta is ready.

3. Cook the fresh pasta and when it is almost done, add it to the peas, add some pasta water if it seems dry. Blend all the ingredients together for a minute or two, then serve with cheese on top. A simple dish bursting with flavor, drizzle good olive oil on top and enjoy.





All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

6 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is looking so fresh and good...absolutely the kind of foods that you should be eating right now {wink}.

I really enjoyed reading your nostalgic comment about asians not being to figure out other asians. Ha! I get that all the time too. Glad to know that the chef made up some great chow for you as well. What a meal...Yay!

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Corrie said...

yum! looks great, gina! i will try it once i get back to italy (poor Antonello has been waiting for some home-cooked meals!)

-Jackie

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Geggie said...

I've been lurking on your blog for a week or so. I can't wait to be in Italy. Although, it looks like our trip won't happen until Christmas time.

Peas? I can actually get fresh peans from a farmers' market here in Phoenix. I am so making this! Delish!

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

I'm going to make that today! Looks so yummy........

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually eat the frozen peas. That's what's available to me.

Love your photo. Very nice recipe.

Paz

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Dianka said...

Wow, looks so nice and refreshing!

~Dianka
http://na-zdravi.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home