.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

My Veterinary Experience

I have been on the lookout for a good vet since I planned to have my cat fly over from Seattle. I asked around at my local pet store and got a great recommendation from the owners. We took the dog there first. In January he was due for all this shots and a full exam. If anyone knows me personally they will know my nickname is “dog Nazi” among others. Since the pups were little, I had 2 dogs but one died, I have worked hard in training them but also in loving them and giving them everything I would give a child. A bed, a handmade blanket, toys, homemade food, clothes, bubble baths, brushing their teeth, the works… as you can imagine I adore my pets and looking for a great vet was a top priority. Today with my aging cat in tow, I am positive Dr. Fortunati is the best vet I have ever encountered.

Once again the cat needed to have his gums treated, they had grown so they stuck out of his mouth and had begun to bleed a bit. The first diagnosis was gingival hyperplasia but now he needed anther surgery a biopsy to check for mouth cancer. I was allowed in the back room to hold him as he was put under the anesthesia, then as he was operated on I waited in the waiting room, as he was coming out of the anesthesia, I was given a chair to sit on and told to watch him and cuddle him as he snapped out of it. It was a very nice experience. If the cat had a negative reaction I would have been there and to tell you the truth I would have had it no other way.

At the end of the procedure which took less than 20 minutes, I took the cat home but was instructed to keep him warm and give him lots of cuddles. I have never seen a vet in the US cuddle or kiss any of my animals but Dr. Fortunati was open with his affection, probably since my cat is one of the sweetest around.



All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear you had a great experience with your vet! Having a great doctor is just as important for our pets as it is for us. I hope Bak-Gai will recover quickly and be healthy!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

Aw that's good to hear! I can't find a dog groomer anywhere in Albania and I (actually Coco) needs one desperately. You should see how I cut her hair! Haaha!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger verniciousknids said...

I'm pleased your cat has recovered from his traumatic flight.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Gina,
You know how feel about your sweet kitty. I am sorry to hear about the gums and he is feeling better now.

Sorry I didn't have the chance to call, but things have been more then crazy around here.

Thinking of you and hope all is well.
Cyn

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger nikinpos said...

Maybe vets are kinder here. My vet in Sorrento treats my cat like it was hers!She has saved my cats life twice, both times saying it might not be possible.
And I have been treated by a vet too! It was Christmas eve, I had a tooth abcess and there were no dentists available, so I got sent to a vet, who was very good! (I sat on the windowsill, not the steel table!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home