.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Torino Transformed

We had a friend over for dinner last night; all three of us hypnotically watched the Olympic Opening Ceremony on TV while slurping my puttanesca. Since the Olympic Stadium is only 7 blocks away from our house, our street was blocked off as the athletes and VIP's arrived by the busload. At the end of the ceremony our building shook as the fireworks (the loudest I have ever heard) signaled the end of the ceremony and the beginning of The Games!

Saturday morning was an absolutely gorgeous day, I begged Deme to come with me downtown to see the sights. After 8 years of preparation, Torino has been transformed. Strolling through the center of town, I could not help but notice the tourists. They were everywhere, I heard Chinese, French, German, and the most English since I left Seattle; somebody pinch me!



Believe it or not, as little as four months ago this Piazza was a giant hole in the ground. Piazza San Carlo was demolished some time ago and rebuilt with a new spacious parking garage underneath. I never thought they would finish it in time but they did. In the background is the set for the TODAY show with Katie Couric and friends. See the giant camera on a crane like thing that shoots video of the crowd?


Here is a closer shot of the set of the TODAY Show, notice the policemen in the foreground. Security is out in full force with policemen around every corner.


Here I am standing behind a film crew that is filming a short piece about the Olympic sport of curling. I think I might have made it onto T.V. All around me were Americans from Tennessee, Texas and Washington State.


In Piazza Solferino is one of the Olympic Villages. A crowd was gathered to enter the Village but also there were many folks just hanging out in the Piazza enjoying the sunshine.


Here a boy tries his hand at the bobsled.


After all that walking around, we stop for lunch at a restaurant downtown. I noticed that they revamped their menu for the Olympics, it now reads in Italian, English and French. Notice the "row beef"; it's supposed to be "raw beef". Nevertheless, I love carpaccio and ordered it as an appetizer.


Stay tuned for more updates this week.

All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

6 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Mona said...

GG, I am so excited for you, and insanely jealous!! I have never been to any Olympics, while my parents have been to 2 winter ones...I'm watching the USA women's team play hockey right now and it's great!! The only problem is, I work in news, and we keep getting alerts as to who's winning what, and it's ruining it for me! I have to stop readin them. It like watching a movie you already know the end of!! AH! Great pics, keep them comin! I'm sharing them with friends at work.

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be pretty cool for you to have all these English speaking folks in your midst.

And I'm another one who is insanely jealous.

Take lots of pictures.

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

I was already excited about coming to Tornio, but after reading your blog I am REALLY EXCITED! Should be a ton of fun.

Ci vediamo presto!
Cyn

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Tracie P. said...

there were texans?!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Linda said...

It must be amazing to be RIGHT. THERE where the Olympics are taking place. So cool.

 
At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How I wish I was there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home