.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Things in Common

Today both hubby and I got our cameras out and decided to spend the day taking photographs. It takes him about an hour to get all his stuff together and when he leaves the house he is about 35 lbs. heavier. While we were living in Seattle, he had his own personal, handy-dandy darkroom set up in his basement; a few months after we met, I had taken it over. My main project was making photo cards of my latest trip to Italy and giving the cards away as Christmas gifts. Last year I think I hand printed almost 300 photos. We joke now that I decided to continue dating him just to get access to his darkroom.

Our love of photography is one of the things that we have in common. He has spent a lot of time and money collecting lens, cameras, gadgets, magazines and photography books while I took a few classes and wing most of my photos. He sets up tripods and uses the remote shutter while I am lower tech. I prefer totally manual cameras and he has the latest digital one, in this sense we are different. Deme has a whole stockpile of slides/photos and after he has them developed into slides or prints he basically stores them away. He took some really amazing shots at the Grand Canyon last year, but has them tucked away in the storage room. I on the other hand love to send photos to friends/family, print them, alter them, hang them up in my office or frame them and place them in the house. I USE them, I want to see them, remember the moments and possibly relive them.

My love to photography started in high school. As a teenager, I worked in a photo studio. I still remember washing prints, setting up back drops, ordering re-prints and cleaning lens. Here I am at 15 or 16 yrs old and working at the photo studio.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



**A side note: It took us 2 hours to leave the house today since Deme forgot the motorcycle races were on, Valentino Rossi wins again!

2 Comments:

At 2:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pic from the past!

Gia, it's so cool that you and Deme love taking pic but I'm with you on using, looking at, and sending them to family/friends. Or posting them on the net (heh heh).

You are several steps ahead of me on photography... crikes, I didn't even take that many photos in France, too busy with the dog. BTW, Dario likes the attention Mads gets, but heck when I'm on the run for the public restroom, I hate being delayed because of the doggie! :-D

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Rowena,
You think I am several steps ahead of you on the photography but you are light years ahead of me on the CSS and HTML languages. See my Flicker badge for recent pics of jewelry that I am working on and if you have requests let me know. I would love to make something for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home