.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Bureaucratic Updates

After 4 ½ months of living in Torino, I finally have a doctor! This morning we hoped on the moped and headed to our local ASL (L’Azienda Sanitaria Locale) which is the local health office. I did a bit of research on the computer to find out everything we needed to know before we left the house. We got a number, waited in line and when we got to the window, there was trouble. After dealing with our doctor in Rome which is a bit inconvenient; we wanted a temporary one in Torino, the website of the ASL said this was possible. The lady behind the window however told us we had to give up the doctor in Rome in order to get one in Torino. She asked us how long we wanted our temporary doctor for and we asked for a year, she said she could only give us one for 6 months. Deme asked where the 6 month number came from and she had no answer. It was hot, humid and the old lady behind us told me to “hurry up” in Italian because she was in hurry. There is no hurrying up in Italy.

Attached to this same building on the 4th floor is the woman’s clinic, I made an appointment, and their earliest was September 6th. My next step is to make dentist appointment for Deme and I then in the near future and appointment to correct my myopia or near sightedness. When I went home that morning, I had in my hand the hours and the address of a doctor recommend by a friend of a friend here in Torino. This doctor’s office is open from 4-7 pm three days a week and 2-6 pm two other days of the week. I called promptly called at 4 pm to make an appointment and was not surprised when the receptionist told me that he did not take appointments, most don’t. Also she informed me he was on vacation and there was a lady doctor covering for him. I asked if they were busy now, there was not a single person there she said and so I walked “fast” to try to test my luck. It was a good call on my part and I was seen right away. One down and a million more to go.

**On another note, after waiting and waiting for first my ATM card and then my PIN number, I went to the bank today to find out when was going on. It turns out that you have to go to the bank in person to retrieve your PIN number. Finally after 2 ½ months I can access the money in my account.

***Another update, we went to our local police office today (the questura) to find out if my permit to stay in the country had been processed. They told us it would take about 5 months, it’s only been 4 ½ but we thought we would try. Nope, no luck today.


At 1:15 AM, Anonymous rowena said...

Ugh, bureaucratic crapola. Always a pain to get accustomed to and then it's just a matter of trying to keep one step ahead of them. ;-) I have a doctor but am reluctant to see her. Me and doctors... allies we do not make.

Anyhoo, that's great that your aunt will be visiting! I'll pass along my phone# later. Things got a bit crazy again over here as now the landlord or whomever has decided to tear up the stone footpath to our place and it's impossible for me to leave the house! Hell, they even told Dario that he couldn't walk up the path when he got home from work. Only when he said that he lived here did they move that little destruction dozer that is blocking the way.

Maddie is furious because walks outside have been delayed until further notice. heh heh

At 7:01 AM, Anonymous rowena said...

Okay, next week sounds good. Hopefully by that time I can leave my place without breaking an ankle on dirt and big rocks that has replaced our footpath! Arghghghgh!

At 5:07 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Good ol' Italian bureaucratic stuff, and banking. A place where it takes 5 appointments to get one thing done.


Post a Comment

<< Home