.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, July 04, 2005

Instant Family

I’ve been in the kid business before. We don’t have any kids of our own but this first full day with my niece and nephew has really got me thinking. It’s late, 11:36 pm and I’m blogging. Both kids have brushed their teeth and are asleep. Personal time goes out the window. I knew this; but I think for the past 4 months I have forgotten. Am I? Are we ready to start our own family? Today my mother-in-law asked when Ginevra and Giordano were going to have a cousin. She looked at the photos on my corkboard of Dagne’s baby, Indie and Marilyn’s baby, Kiana and longed for another grandchild. We have to get going she said, I reminded her we have only been married for 6 months. “Soon” is what I keep telling her.

Things I forgotten but have been reminded of (by my niece and nephew and by my current thoughts of Tia, Rachel, Sophie, Jamie, Daniel, Nelle, Meng Meng, Charlie, Emme and Erik):

1. Kids eat a lot and you really must put a ton of thought into what goes into their little bodies. They may not like the foods you adore and you just have to “get over it.” Even when they pick all of the homegrown basil out of your bruschetta.

2. An apartment is not a great place to raise kids or dogs for that matter, esp. if you have a grumpy downstairs neighbor. They really need a place to run around and throw things on an hourly basis.

3. Shark Tale in Italian is just as funny as Shark Tale in English.

4. Planning engaging activities takes research. I’ve been using Virgilio.it.

5. When they cry, you feel like you’ve been punched in the stomach.

6. You struggle with disciple, niceties, firmness, laxness, every second and every minute of everyday.

7. Exercise is good for adults and children alike. When they complain about a short walk, you suddenly realize how lazy you can be at times too.

8. You have so much to say to them, so much to share…. Waiting for the right time and moment is frustrating when you want to blurt it all out NOW!

That’s all for now, I’m sure I’ll have more realizations as the week passes on. I should have called this post “To All the Kids I’ve Loved Before.”

5 Comments:

At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you on every one of those points, and ditto especially on #2! Do doggies go through phases? Mads is into chewing on my rubber slippers now and randomly runs around the apartment at break-neck speed before settling down to tear apart her stuffed teddybear. Geez..

And what is it with this weather? Yesterday I did 5 loads of laundry to hang outside and on this metal contraption thingy in the house. Then it STORMED! ARghghgh! The laundry is still a bit damp this morning but I told Dario last night that I should have done a sh**load of laundry last week so that the rains could come...hehe.

P.S. I will not only save you a frozen gelato fruit, we can make some when you come over...hopefully next month? I'm gone at the end of the week.

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Eulinx said...

Everytime my 3 years old nephew cries, I feel exactly like you said: I guess a punch in the stomach would feel better than that!
Aren't kids just gorgeous?
Thanks for the tips about fried rice, I will let you know about it!
And yes, I hope we can meet here in Rome. Although I am not quite sure if I'm still going to be here, since my boyfriend is in Holland at the moment and it's possible that we are going to move there for good...
Gosh, is this packing and moving around Europe ever going to stop?! ; )
Ciao
Ale

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Rowena,
Yes it rained here too yesterday but I only had one load outside. I will try to e-mail you before you leave but if not then have a happy and fun trip and let me know when your back, so you are gonna tote Maddie along? Ciao.

Ale,
I can give you my cell number to call in two weeks when we get to Rome, send me an email and let me know about the fried rice okay? A presto.

 
At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this morning I had ants in my pants and tried one of Gaia's recipes for cialde and did your marinade for the tropical flank steak....the scent is making me nuts! It's so fragrant! I can't wait to try it tonight with the salsa.

Yep, we a gonna bring the Mads with us. It should be interesting since we've never travelled with pets in our lives. Actually it has been on our minds that we should always bring her if our destination hosts give the okay. The only exception would be if we took off for the islands. I still remember your offer and will keep it in mind!

I hope you're having fun with the kids. I came here late last night hoping you had posted something! ;-)

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Rowena,
Last night I had a evening date with my husband and the Fockers; "Meet the Fockers" that is. Also what is Cialde? Anyways we got to talking about the kids and how they are adjusting well to all the changes that happen in their lives etc.. It's all very hard for the two of us to comprehend but they seems to be okay for now.
Hope you have a yummy dinner tonite and say "hi" to Dario for me. P.S. Do you have photos of you and Dario on any posts, I'm just curious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home