.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Great Summer Soup

Carrot and Ginger Soup
Serves 6-8

1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 T. peeled, chopped ginger root
1 large garlic clove, pressed
2 lbs. carrots or about 1 kilo
5 cups chicken stock
1 leek, white part only, split and rinsed and chopped
½ to 1 C. half and half
Olive oil
2 T. butter

1. Cook onion, leeks and celery in a large pot with olive oil and butter until soft, about 10 minutes on med. low.
2. Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for 2 mins. Then add carrots, sauté everything together for 5 mins.
3. Add stock and bring to boil, then simmer for 20 mins. or until carrots are very tender.
4. Puree soup in blender in batches until smooth and strain through a mesh sieve into a large bowl. Thin with half and half until the desired consistency is reached. Season and serve hot or warm.
This soup is simple, delicious and a great way to get your veggies.

2 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Blogger barbara said...

My granny used to call this soup "vellutata di carote"
She cooked also the "vellutata di zucchini", at the same way, but without ginger.
She usually added tons of parmigiano before served.

Both of vellutate are delicious, I love them.
anyway, I'll do an exam the next thursday, after that I'm free.
Are you available the next week?
bye!
barbara

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger indah said...

Hi Gia-Gina. I came across your blog on the expats in Italy site. Your blog is great and it's really making me crave for some good dim sum at the moment. I live in Siena with my british husband. Each time we visit family in the UK,, we make sure to have dim sum in London's chinatowm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home