.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

113

113 is the equivalent of 911 in Italy. Today as we were walking to our car after taking a few shots of Castello Stupinigi, 113 was called. As Deme, the dog and I crossed the street to get from the castle to our car, a moped ran into a lady as she and a friend crossed the street behind us. She screamed, just as I placed my foot on the sidewalk in front of me. I immediately gave Zavier to Deme as I ran over to try to help. She was shaking all over and holding her elbow as she fell on her back and braced the fall with her arm. I had handy wipes and tissues in my purse for the blood. Her friend and I helped her up out of the street and onto the sidewalk; someone called an ambulance and other passerby’s came over to help. The moped driver said he was sorry but also said we jaywalked across the street, this is true, there were no marked zebra stripes. She was in pretty good shape but obviously in shock, soon she began to complain her back hurt. About 15 minutes from the start of the incident the ambulance showed up, I said “good-bye”, wished her well and vowed to be much more careful crossing the street from now on.

3 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A further note about crossing roads when in Turin.
The stone pavement in downtown are pretty, but become a skidding trap after few drops of rain [via Po for instance].
Never assume the cars will be able to stop even if you are crossing on the zebra path. They'll try, but it is really easy to slip. When driving there in a rainy day, allows more space between you and the preceeding cars than you usually do.


Many roads heading to south west don't allow drivers to see very well against the sun , you could be virtually invisible to them.
The safe rule is:
Always Act as the other drivers are completely idiots ignoring where the brakes are.
[ but most about them {ahem us} do know it...]

I hope Turin is welcoming you.

 
At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just feel the heat in that photo. Blue sky looks lovely but I know that Torinese heat.. argghghghh!

On the other hand, one big BRAVA for aiding that woman. Jaywalking or not, those moped users could use a little discretionary driving...err, riding. Would he have done that to the Pope??

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Pc and Rowena,
Thanks for your comments. Living in the city does have its dangers, traffic being a major one. I try to be careful crossing the street at all times and esp. while driving. So far I have been really lucky. I got to knock on wood to keep safe.

About the moped driver, I wanted to stay and see if he was insured but she had a friend with her, so she was probably covered. I can't ever imagine being in such an accident. I am glad she was okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home