.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

On Being a Newlywed

Last week my husband, the man I love the most in the world after my dad, left on a business trip to Seattle for 6 days and nights. When he called after being away for one night; I complained. I did not appreciate being left alone in Turin with no car and no friends; basically I was lonely. I reminded him we were still newlyweds and this was an anomaly I did not want us to have to repeat too often. He then broke the news to me that this business trip was to repeat itself every 2 months from now on. While biting on my lip, I tried to hold back frustration and anger, I sighed as I tried quickly to remember my promise to support this man in his pursuit of a better life for our family. This promise is the only thing that grounds me and keeps me sane when I want to run away from him or bury my head in the sand.

One of my sisters, to remain nameless, supports her husband as he paints (as an artist) in his studio at home. She wakes up everyday and heads off to her day job. She is also an artist but paints in the middle of the night after dinner and after a nap. My best friend followed her then boyfriend, now husband, to the middle of nowhere as he completed his Masters’ degree in order to advance his career. He studied so intensely he often locked himself in his office for hours/days at a time. My other best friend works full-time and arranges childcare for her baby as her husband serves our military overseas, in Iraq. He has been gone for almost 8 months. My lovely mother supports her husband as they travel from Guam to Hawaii for cancer treatment, usually for months at a time.

I won’t go into the bit about the silver lining….that’s not the point. Lately I have been feeling homesick for Seattle, for my old independent life and wanting everyday to trade my current one for my old life. I have always known what the point is. I have to muster all the integrity and resilience within me as I remind myself, every hour of every day, its commitment. I better just stop thinking about myself as being a newlywed but a wife. The vows we uttered to each other in the taxi as we were certified husband and wife were not ours. They belonged to Reverend What’s His Face and the State of Nevada. This husband of mine is someone I have been waiting for all my life, he is my dream incarnate. The cantankerous, huffy, irritable, petulant, grumpy, grouchy, crabby, sulky moaning and groaning should end soon.

4 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Note: Nameless Sister's husband doesn't paint for fun, he paints as his career and for a living. He just makes less than Nameless Sister and works out of the home. Nameless Sister doesn't support her husband. That business is actually self-sustaining at this point. Nameless Sister and Nameless Sister's husband were not happy to pay taxes this year due to income from art.

Other note: Nameless Sister suggests that you look forward. Things can't be as they were in the past and pining for it can be destructive and redundnat. Embrace your new role, your new home and your new husband. Remember your vows, your decision to make those vows, and why you made them.

Nameless Sister

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Sara said...

One more note: If you feel your vows weren't your own, you two should think about writing your own vows and renew your vows soon, with or without witnesses. (Marriage vows are so different from post-marriage vows.) Then you can have the chance to really consider your vows and what they mean. They can give you real strength during trying times.

Sar.... er... I mean, Nameless Sister.

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nameless sister, nice going logging into your account, then posting!!

Nameless Unmarried Sister (try figuring that one out!)

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Ha ha ha... Nameless Sister isn't the least bit secretive about the topic at hand.

Nameless Sister

 

Post a Comment

<< Home