.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Tabouli Salad

I was as pleased as pie with my last shopping trip to Carrefour, yes the lines were still 5 to 10 people deep, yes the produce was a bit picked over but to my surprise I found something I have been thinking about for weeks, bulgur wheat! If I find a good Middle Eastern store I may be able to get a different variety. It was located in the dried bean section right near the produce and when I saw it my eyes lit up. All I could think about what the tart and savory flavor of lemon juice and good olive oil, the fresh, summery taste of truly ripe tomatoes, crisp cucumber and the subtle hint of refreshing mint. I could not wait to get home. (This bulgur wheat is stripped of its hull and thus yellow in color. In Seattle, there is a brand called Bob’s Red Mill Bulgur which is brown, retains the hull and is much more flavorful. Not to mention healthier, though it takes a bit more time to soak and prepare.)

Tabouli Salad
Serves 4 as a side dish

1 C. bulgur, for each cup of bulgur add 1 to 1 ½ C. boiling water and let soak until all the water is absorbed and the bulgur is al dente.(About 30 minutes) If there is excess water, drain, cool and proceed with recipe.

2 chopped tomatoes
1 lg. or 2 small chopped cucumbers
2 T. chopped mint
1 lg. clove garlic, pressed
1 T. kalamata olives, optional
2 T. Feta, optional
2 chopped scallions/green onion, white and green parts or 1 shallot
Lots of chopped flat leaf parsley
Juice of 1 lemon/lime or a mix of both
Good olive oil
Salt and pepper

Fold all the ingredients together and let sit for at least 10-15 minutes to let the flavors develop. This dish can be altered any way you prefer, I make it according to what I have available in the fridge.

6 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds really good!

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Gia said...

I can send you some brown bulgar...they sell it at Payless.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Choco Pie said...

Your food pictures are amazing, and I really like reading your blog. I added you to my list of links, since I'm fascinated with other expats and their lives--just thought you'd like to know!

 
At 3:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never cooked bulgar but I have always been curious in trying it... from your picture it looks really good! I will try your recipe.

Ciao.
Sabrina

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Sabrina,
Try it I think it is one of the best summer salads I have ever tasted!

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Gia,
what is the brand of the brown bulgur?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home