.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Full Medical Monty

I think everyone that knows me knows that I can be an anxious, “Oh no!” stressed out, nervous, worrywart. Maybe for these reasons and maybe others still unknown, I have high blood pressure. This condition has been plaguing me for about a year and a half; I have always joked that it coincides with me meeting Demetrio. In any case, my first concern after arriving to Italy was finding a good doctor. My prescriptions were due to run out in May so I need to see someone fast.

Italy has a universal health care system but to access this system you have to have a fiscal code number, it is equivalent to a US Social Security Number, except it is 3 times longer. No one will give you a loan without this number, you can’t open a bank account without this number, you can’t sign up for a parking permit, and can’t see a doctor in the health system without this number. We have medical insurance but to take advantage of it, you must have a fiscal code. Last week in Rome, I finally got one. I went to the trusted doctor of Demetrio’s mother for a check up. Demetrio was there to translate for me while he took my blood pressure, listened to my chest and asked me a barrage of questions.

“When was my last full blood work up?
“What medications am I taking and in what dosages?”
“Any past medical conditions?”

I gave him the answers to his questions. He then proceeded with his prescription:

1. Since I did have a blood work up a while ago, 8 months or so, he asked me about my thyroid levels, I told him they were fine at the time. He wants another full blood work up; he then prescribed an ultrasound of my thyroid, just in case. I don’t know if this is standard procedure but I don’t mind.

2. I’ve had stomach problems before and have been having a bit lately, so the doctor prescribed an endoscopy. They sedate you and take a little camera into your upper GI tract, esophagus and stomach. This really scares me because I don’t want to be sedated. I am also afraid of how my throat will feel afterwards. Many doctor friends of mine have been telling me to have this done but I’ve always avoided it. Demetrio knows I suffer from stomach problems and since the doctor thinks it is a good idea, he thinks it is better than doing nothing about it.

3. I was taking 10 mg of a diuretic and 10 mg of an ACE inhibitor for my blood pressure as prescribed by my doctor in Seattle. This doctor took me off the diuretic and reduced my ACE inhibitor to 4 mg. I don’t really know what the drug culture is like in Italy but I think he wants to start me lower and follow my condition before prescribing more drugs. Basically, I agree with him although I was very cautious when I first began to take medication for the high blood pressure.

All in all, I am quite nervous about all these tests but feel they are mostly necessary. I would rather know than let a preventable problem go untreated. My first procedure is this Friday and my hubby will be there to offer moral support and to drive me home after the sedation. Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

At 4:02 AM, Blogger Eulinx said...

Hi,
I have the opposite problem: my blood pressure is too low. This means trouble in summertime because sometimes I just happen to faint if it's too hot outside.

About the stomach: I certainly don't want to take the doctor's place, but if the endoscopy scares you so much (it would scare me too!) maybe you can ask the doctor to have a "breath test" before it.
In the lab where I have been working for the past 5 years, we did them very often. This test can tell you if you suffer "gastrite" (sorry, don't know the english word, but you can ask your husband)and it reveals the presence of a kind of bacteria called "Helicobacter Pylori", which is responsible for the stomach ache.
Maybe you can talk to your doctor about this.

Take a look at your embassy's homepage: they should have a list of english
speaking doctors in your town. Sean did it when we lived in Rome and found a German speaking doctor a few blocks away from home.

Anyways, everything will be ok, I'm sure.
Don't be worried.
A presto,

Ale

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Hey Sis. Endoscopy was offered to Chris when before he was diagnosed with IBS. The doc here told him that he had two options. 1) Be sedated. 2) If you have good control over your gag reflex, you can opt NOT to be sedated. I bring this up 'cause you said you were worried about being sedated. The doctor didn't mention anything about prolonged esophagial discomfort afterward. You know that the digestive tract is very fast healing, so I doubt you would be in discomfort for long, if at all.

Sara

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Rowena said...

Wow Gia! Moving and settling in and now having to deal with your health?!

I will call you...subito.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Thanks for all your condern, I was not sedated and all went just fine. Let's see if I can pull it off again in 40 days or so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home